Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Rainy Saturday (again) and a new navigation idea (very rough draft) - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rainy Saturday (again) and a new navigation idea (very rough draft)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainy Saturday (again) and a new navigation idea (very rough draft)

Not really an HTML question (unless it doesn't work right) so I didn't know where to ask for testers.

Okay so I bought a domain and have been fiddling with ideas for the layout and had a neat brain fart the other day. So I worked up a little rough draft as a working example for me to play with. Using the "sliding doors" technique and a little javascript trickery (thanks Kor ) I came up with this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~harbinger...link_test.html

I worked on it in FF/Moz and IE6 and all's good. And very unlike me NO PNGS! The image is a little large file wise but it's a gif right now. Once I get everything together it'll be a jpg and probally around the 50k file size. It is a rough draft so it's pretty clunky visual wise. when I get around to painting the whole thing it will look better I swear

Since there's nothing fancy going on could you all look at it and see if it works in other browsers the same way?

If anything it made me laugh.
    Stop making things so hard on yourself.
    i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

lol that's really cool !

Interesting way of doing things too with just the one GIF. Nice.
    markaylward.co.uk

Comment

If I mouse over thoughts or contacts in Opera 7.54 it breaks, breaks in Opera 8.0 to, the background image doesn't seem to get the right position. I have known opera to be buggy when it came to background positioning. All is good in NS 7.2, NS 8.0, FF 1.0.6, IE 6.02 though
      Last edited by _Aerospace_Eng_; Jul 30, 2005, 02:44 PM.
      ||||If you are getting paid to do a job, don't ask for help on it!||||

Comment

thanks for looks guys.

Funny how opera is always the browser that funks out on me. I guess it's time shell out the dough and get it so I can test it myself. Maybe just hide the script from opera entirely instead of messing with it too much since the roll overs are not essential in anyway.

I did mess and add some color to it and I think I'm fond of the purple. The little robot thing looks rather good to me and the cheese of it all is probally more my everyday style anyways. I think I'll keep it this way for now.

If it would ever stop raining I would venture out but I guess until then...

Edit: oh yeah i tried jpging it but it was like 300k. and reducing it made it look lke utter crap-o-la. But I got it down to 113k.

Comment

Why would you shell out the dough for it? Just download the free versions. Its not like you would be using it for browser, just testing only so the ads won't really matter.

Comment

Hehe looks good in purple.

I'm sure a GIF would be the best format for this kind of thing anyway.
            markaylward.co.uk

Comment

never really looked into opera. I didn't know they had a free version. Off I go to get it then.

naver really liked purple really. My original thought was to have the robot crushing over a city scape and all the buildings siloetteed (never can spell that word) into the background all blues and purples. Obviously this is as far as gotten so far :P seems to fit for some reason.

gracias me amigos. off to the doodle board I go.

Edit: yeah that opera thing is nasty

Edit: just checked a few other test sites of mine in Opera...holy demonic divs batman! At least the real site I maintain works right *wipes sweat off brow*
              Last edited by harbingerOTV; Jul 30, 2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

cool beans. Works now in Opera 8.02, IE 6.02, Moz 1.7, and FF 1.0.2 (haven't updated yet)

thanks for opening my eyes to the fre version of opera _Aero_. A little search and a little CSS fix and blamm-o!

now to building the rest of the err.. i mean wash some clothes and eat lunch.

Comment

okay still not done yet so not really a site review yet (but if you feel the need )

I feel pretty good about this as it seems to work in IE/FF/Moz/Opera andn doesn't use pngs or fixed positioning.

Anyways I have a real HTML/CSS question. In Opera when you scroll down to the bottom you'll see the blue cog on the bottom left of the main text area. Some times it gets cropped off. You can scrol back up and then back down and then it reappears again in full. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm pushing the image outside of the contaning box (#content #text) it's in. Being unfamiliar with Opera is this a usual bug for it?

Comment

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Harbinger you have the best site(s) on this whole forum (no offense other people). I swear whenever I need an idea or how to do somthing good I look at your sites. Amazing man!

Lol I also have used a semi transparent png on every on of my sites.... Hmm, I never noticed that.
                    Single Paradox
                    My Site (Under construction)

Not too bad for a 15 year old

Comment

Originally posted by Single Paradox
                      WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Harbinger you have the best site(s) on this whole forum (no offense other people). I swear whenever I need an idea or how to do somthing good I look at your sites. Amazing man!

Lol I also have used a semi transparent png on every on of my sites.... Hmm, I never noticed that.

I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by harbingerOTV
                        okay still not done yet so not really a site review yet (but if you feel the need )

I feel pretty good about this as it seems to work in IE/FF/Moz/Opera andn doesn't use pngs or fixed positioning.

Anyways I have a real HTML/CSS question. In Opera when you scroll down to the bottom you'll see the blue cog on the bottom left of the main text area. Some times it gets cropped off. You can scrol back up and then back down and then it reappears again in full. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm pushing the image outside of the contaning box (#content #text) it's in. Being unfamiliar with Opera is this a usual bug for it?
                        I'm not seeing this. Only thing I'm seeing is the content is a bit off in Opera, it doesn't line up with the header like it does in FF.

Comment

Originally posted by Single Paradox
                          Well said

Awww....I can't see it! Where did it go?

Gary

Edit: Whoa, I can see it now! Lol, thats excellent
                          'cna ne1 plz giv cod'

Comment

Really like the robot and the bright light on the links - quite different from anything I could have thought up.

To the 13-year old - wow! - you are off to a great start.

It is frustrating not being able to see how my pages look in Safari. My daughter helps. I send her a screen capture of the way the page looks in FF and the link to the page. If they match up I'm in business.

Comment

Originally posted by Bennie
                              To the 13-year old - wow! - you are off to a great start.
                              ??? harbingerOTV is receding, with stubble...did I miss something

Gary
                              'cna ne1 plz giv cod'

Comment

Working...
                              X