Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Is flexbox the best layout method available? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is flexbox the best layout method available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is flexbox the best layout method available?

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to coding and just come across the flexbox layout method, which to me seems much easier to use than any other layout method I've learnt so far. I also looked at how many browsers support it ( Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc ) which is most browsers. So my question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to using it? and do you think it's the best layout method? Thanks

I might be a bit biased but can't really claim to use flexbox much. I find frameworks like twitter bootstrap to be much more user-friendly. It isn't easy at first in terms of getting your head around it but once you do I find that it takes away the need for consistent additions of various specific style rules to fix smaller issues.

Comment

Really, it depends on how you approach design and organize your code.

Personally, I love flexbox and find it the most efficient and flexible method to use, but at least some of that's due to how I process what I see. Libraries like Bootstrap are easier for a lot of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by danomah View Post
        I find frameworks like twitter bootstrap to be much more user-friendly.
        Originally posted by Carradee View Post
        Libraries like Bootstrap are easier for a lot of folks.
        Those assertions have absolutely no foundation according to this informative article...

coothead
        Last edited by coothead; Oct 9, 2016, 09:57 AM. Reason: tpynig eorrr
        ~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Comment

I agree people should have a strong knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript especially newbies, but to say people who use them have no knowledge in HTML, CSS and JavaScript is utter nonsense in my opinion. BTW nice promoting deathshadow's website and I do know people with nice paying jobs developing and designing websites (and other apps) at Ford, GM and Chrysler that use frameworks and libraries.
          Last edited by Strider64; Oct 9, 2016, 04:52 PM.
          "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." ~ Albert Einstein https://www.miniaturephotographer.com

Comment

Frameworks have their place – on 0.001% of all websites. On the rest of them it’s just a waste of time and resources.
            Stop solving problems you don’t yet have!

Comment

Originally posted by Strider64 View Post
              BTW nice promoting deathshadow's website
              Niceness, had nothing to do with it.

Our friend deathshadow is more vitriolic in his condemnations than I,
              but I definitely share his dislikes though somewhat less vehemently.

Originally posted by Strider64 View Post
              I do know people with nice paying jobs developing and designing websites
              (and other apps) at Ford, GM and Chrysler that use frameworks and libraries
              So is that your absolute best reason for their advocation?

coothead
              ~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Comment

Working...
              X