Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best HTML Editor

Hi all,

I'm studying Business Information Systems, and will need an editor to write HTML, CSS, etc.

I know you can use notepad to write HTML, but I'd like to know what are your preferred choices to use as editors, and why.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Have a look at the Web Editors section of post #2 in this thread
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade and want lists, album reviews, & more

Comment

In my opinion the best editor I've come across is Notepad++

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.9.2.html

Comment

Originally posted by vinyl-junkie View Post
        Have a look at the Web Editors section of post #2 in this thread
        Which does nothing to answer the why -- and to be frank a LOT of the garbage on that list I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy; see anything with WYSIWYG even MENTIONED as part of it!

Of course, all of the links except the Wikipedia one being 404, not helping...

The question of "why" is actually a very good one -- and usually when asked you'll get people pointing at lists or mentioning their favorite, without saying WHY!

So, I'm going to say mine, and then I'm going to do what the OP asked, and say WHY!!!

My personal favorite is Flo's Notepad 2:
        flo's freeware - Notepad2

I like it because it's based on Scintilla without being a total piece of Scite. I say... I say... that's a joke son. The demo editor for the Scintilla project is literally named "Scite"..

The reason I use it is the same reason I used other notepad replacements in the past -- it lacks the fancy bells and whistles that either piss me off or get in my way, and the ones it does have I can turn OFF! To that end my previous editor choices -- Crimson Editor and Win32pad are fine and dandy choices as well.

Really the selling points for me are regex search and replace, proper handling of multiple character encodings, seamless translation between character encodings, no tabbed editing (I'll get to more on that in a second), word wrap guides, long line guides, block indentation, single file instancing, block tabify/detabify, trailing blank stripping (that can be set to do it automatically at save), case conversion, etc, etc...

As I mentioned, there are a number of things I dislike in programmers editors... lets go down that list:

"tabbed editing" -- when I've got at minimum on the laptop a 1920x1080 display and at my workstation a pair of 1920x1080 24" on the wings of a 2560x1440 IPS, shoving everything into one window is a colossal step BACKWARDS in functionality. It's a bit like the idiocy of Windows 8 metro crapplets who's biggest feature is the fact they aren't windowed. Cute on a tablet or phone, a giant middle finger to desktop users. In that same way, I like having HTML, CSS, JS, and PHP all in their own windows, or being able to have PHP files in separate windows so I can work on a main file and an include whilst looking at BOTH at the same time. When you can have windows and a taskbar, cramming everything into one window with a redundant set of tabs cramps my style.

"code folding" -- this bit of idiocy has become hot and trendy in recent years, and seems to exist for the sole purpose of making debugging harder. It lets you hide blocks of code to make seeing the overall picture "simpler" -- the problem to me is that simplification just leads to making more errors as it treads into "false simplicity"; reducing the complexity below the complexity of the task itself, making the actual thing trying to be done impossible.

"Autocompletion" -- there are technically two forms of this, one is much like predictive typing and much like that, it usually predicts (for me at least) WRONG. You spend so much time dicking around correcting what it tries to do for you or tabbing through the selections of what it thinks you are trying to type, you'd spend less time just typing what the **** you wanted in the first place. The other form of autocompletion is tag matching, where you open a tag is auto-creates the closure... usually in the wrong place, or redundant to one you already typed, or at the wrong indent if it indented it at all -- to the point again, just let me type the bloody thing!!!

"Colour syntax highlighting" -- UGH... Illegible acid trip of colours that makes all the text impossible to read. Whilst it may help the feeble minded avoid failing to close strings because they're too stupid to keep single and double quotes straight, on the whole what good is it if the constantly shifting colours (usually in illegible contrast choices too) makes it impossible to see what the text ACTUALLY SAYS. I hated it when I first encountered it in the mid to late 1980's, and I've seen ZERO improvement in it since that time... on this one I freely admit I seem to be the only programmer holding said opinion.

"project management" -- usually this goes hand in hand with tabbed editing, and to me just means someone doesn't know how to leverage directories, filenames, namespaces, or file managers properly. It's a crutch for the inept and in my experiences leads to more mistakes than it does "help". Admittedly I have the same opinion of version control software, which to me just seems to be something that helps people with crappy project management skills shlep by with over-reliance on a set of tools... said reliance often leading to issues like code regressions or "too many cooks" on larger projects. There are times a benevolent dictatorship has its advantages!

More often than not IMHO such things just means somebody isn't doing their job, or isn't qualified to be doing it... with VERY rare exceptions. (Like I'd never say anything bad about version control on a project the scope of the Linux kernel. THEN it makes sense! Something rudimentary like a CMS? Not so much.)

"FTP" -- Usually in-built FTP is a crippled mess, does nothing for your files that aren't source which can be just as important, and encourages broken methodology like "live editing" which is one of the dumbest things you can do on a website. There's nothing wrong with third party clients like filezilla, and at least you aren't wasting memory loading an FTP client if all you are doing is working on local code during your dev' cycle.

"WYSIWYGS" -- I could write a thousand pages on the sins of WYSIWYG editors. They are some of the most mouth-breathingly idiotic dumbass BULL**** you can find in development when it comes to websites for the simple fact that what you see is almost guaranteed NOT to be what everyone else gets. With the plethora of browser engines, screen sizes, screen resolutions, default font size on which your entire layout should automatically be scaling... the mere notion of a WYSIWYG editor is broken incompetant rubbish and anyone telling you to use one is basically talking out their arse.

The same goes for "preview panes" -- you want to preview, [/b]DO IT IN THE BLOODY BROWSERS!!![/b] Far, FAR too often you'll get people coming to forums looking for help with the garbage they've been duped into creating with nube-predating scam bait like Dreamweaver, and the problem is that they've only tested in DW then wonder why went tits-up when they went to look at it in a real browser. Each browser has it's own oddities and quirks in implementation, and if you aren't testing in at least THREE browser engines -- Gecko (FF), Trident (IE), and either Webkit (safari) or Blink (Chrome, Vivaldi, ChrOpera) -- you're not dropping the ball, you're drop-kicking it into the grand canyon. ... and really as Webkit and Blink diverge from each-other in feature set, we're quickly having to start testing in both of those separately; and now with Microsoft Edge you might want to toss that on the testing stack. Joe bless Virtual Machines! To me OSX is crippleware and Win10 is basically telling me as a user to go **** myself, so at least I can run 8.1 Enterprise as the host and those inside VM's... along with outdated sandboxed OS for legacy UA's since I still get people stuck on Win XP and even 98 as visitors or clients. TRY not to play the Rich{sexual preference slur omitted} asshat on that.

Learning what works and what doesn't in each browser as you go may be time consuming, but it's the only way to be sure you're not painting yourself into a corner with techniques you either have to hack around or toss the entire mess and start over with. Test, TEST, TEST, test some more, and when you think you've tested enough, test one more time!

This is the Internet, the only thing you know for certain about who will try to visit your website is that you cannot know who will try to visit your website! Not everyone has the deep pockets for a new computer every two to three years just because "rawrz, new OS with new browser that only works in modern OS", nor is everyone suited to using pathetically crippled attempts at being desktop OS like Linux. (GREAT server OS... on the desktop not so much!)

Setting things I dislike aside, at the heart if you learn to work with the simplest of tools -- and really any flat text editor will do for that; notepad2, notepad++, editplus, Crimson Editor, sublime, vim, emacs, pick one! -- it shouldn't matter what tool you are using, you should be able to sit down and go. This is often an important skill to have in workplaces where they require a specific tool -- even halfwit chazerei like Dreamweaver -- so you can go "Yeah, I can work with that" since you know how to just use the code and real browsers directly. You can lip-service the rest.

... and if you couldn't tell, so far as I'm concerned the TLDR crowd can sod off! Parkinsons has only dropped me from 108 to 84 words per minute. Well, it was lower, but one of my meds (keppra) has helped restore a good deal of functionality.
        Last edited by deathshadow; Sep 12, 2016, 10:01 PM.
        Walk the dark path, sleep with angels, call the past for help.
        https://cutcodedown.com
        https://medium.com/@deathshadow

Comment

Working...
        X