Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doctype question please!

I dont have a doctype....

I have a lot of php on my page, cufon script, (i.e. javascript) and a little html.

Can anyone suggest or recommend what doctype I need?

This is for a USA site....

Thanks - (obviously I can reasearch the different types out there - just wanted to hear if there is a "foolproof" doctype")

Why not first try html 4 strict doctype. You will probably have some coding errors to correct no matter which one you use. It all depends on a number of things: how you closed your tags for one.
    Teed

Comment

I agree 4.01 Strict is probably the best place to start without seeing what your code looks like. Also see: http://www.codingforum.net/showpost....31&postcount=3
      OracleGuy

Comment

thanks -

I guess trial and error - I went with this and it seems to be fine:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

I guess - hope - that browsers are smart and understand what you are trying to do, except for IE which always causes me headaches.

Thanks......

Comment

Actually the real reason I asked was because I wanted to know if php influences the doctype which apparently it doesn't....

Comment

Just using a certain server side wont matter to the doctype. What matters is how to coded your page with regards to the closing of tags and other things.

Since you've added a valid doctype now, have you validated your code? You can do so here.

Again, you may see some errors, but dont let that discourage you from trying to work them out. If you have problems with code validation errors, post back here for help with fixing them.
            Teed

Comment

Working...
            X