Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Page height . . . - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Page height . . .

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Page height . . .

    REF:http://chieftainclothing.com/inspiration.html

    I'm want to make this page the height only needed for the content. I don't want to hard code a height into the CSS. Nothing seems to work. If I set height: auto; or 100%, then nothing seems to show up.

    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by michael180; Aug 24, 2011, 07:13 PM.

  • #2
    the first step would be taking out the position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; out from the body

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Sammy12 View Post
      the first step would be taking out the position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; out from the body
      I did that but the page is still too high. I guess I'll just live with it.

      But thanks . . .

      Comment


      • #4
        You do know you're using a width and height defined image as the background for your maincontent right? Then it's going to be THAT width and height unless you change it.

        Not sure why you felt the need to create a solid white image for a background. Wouldn't a background color work as well? Or you could create an smaller image of say 960px x 5px, then repeat it so that it will expand based on the amount of content you have in your div.
        Teed

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by teedoff View Post
          You do know you're using a width and height defined image as the background for your maincontent right? Then it's going to be THAT width and height unless you change it.

          Not sure why you felt the need to create a solid white image for a background. Wouldn't a background color work as well? Or you could create an smaller image of say 960px x 5px, then repeat it so that it will expand based on the amount of content you have in your div.
          I see now exactly what you mean. I took the easy way out and created the image which included the golfer, and the header. I'll re-do it as you advised.

          Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by michael180 View Post
            I see now exactly what you mean. I took the easy way out and created the image which included the golfer, and the header. I'll re-do it as you advised.

            Thanks
            If you do wind up reworking your page, and it shouldn't be that hard as you've just started, keep in mind to stay clear of resorting to using positioning for elements. Most layouts can be acheived simply by using floats and margins, and is the desired and standard way to create page layouts.
            Teed

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by teedoff View Post
              If you do wind up reworking your page, and it shouldn't be that hard as you've just started, keep in mind to stay clear of resorting to using positioning for elements. Most layouts can be acheived simply by using floats and margins, and is the desired and standard way to create page layouts.
              I already started and made a genuine mess of things. Somebody here told me just the opposite, said I should use positioning instead. I used to know how to do most of this stuff, but I guess I've lost it.

              http://chieftainclothing.com/mockup/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by teedoff View Post
                If you do wind up reworking your page, and it shouldn't be that hard as you've just started, keep in mind to stay clear of resorting to using positioning for elements. Most layouts can be acheived simply by using floats and margins, and is the desired and standard way to create page layouts.
                I changed everything as you said and it all fell into place. I think I did it right?

                http://chieftainclothing.com/mockup/

                Again thanks so much . . .

                Comment

                Working...
                X