Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Right-aligned link list taborder accessibility problem - not a bug - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right-aligned link list taborder accessibility problem - not a bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-aligned link list taborder accessibility problem - not a bug

Hi all,

My design has a horizontal list of links, right-aligned on the page. This is done with a <ul> floated right containing <li> elements also floated right. The <li> elements contain <a> links. Visually it looks fine. The first link is furthest to the right, the second link is on its left and so on. When tabbing through the links (in any browser) the tab order starts with the first link and continues through the list - hence it appears to tab from right to left. This is counter-intuitive for the viewer I feel. If I use tabindex properties to reverse this order then for users not applying css (e.g. text only browsers) my reversed tab order is even more counter-intuitive as it starts with the bottom list entry and works upwards. I can supply the very simple xhtml and css if required.

Can anyone suggest an alternative approach which lets css and non-css users experience the expected tab order?

Hmmm, 25 views and no replies - do I take it that nobody has any ideas on this subject?

I'm thinking that right-aligned lists are very common on the web and that other people must suffer this problem too?

(sorry about the shameless bump - but at least I waited until I'd got down to page 5!)

Comment

Originally posted by phil dobson View Post
      I can supply the very simple xhtml and css if required.
      You may want to supply your code and css as well as a link to your site so that we can see what you are describing.

Comment

Working...
      X