Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Mixed site review w/ dynamic frameset, HTML, CSS, flash and javascript. - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed site review w/ dynamic frameset, HTML, CSS, flash and javascript.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed site review w/ dynamic frameset, HTML, CSS, flash and javascript.

Originally I posted this technique in a "Search Engines Discussion" forum as:
    Frames/FrameSets - Friend or foe regarding SE's, Here is a SE friendly frames approach, comments?

But now it is more than a clever way to make frames search engine friendly.
    It is the basis of my wife's new Gypsy Trader site.
    See, we just moved the store and she wanted a fresh look.
    This is where I am going with it.

BTW: This is a working example, subject to change as I update the site... I have much to do yet.
    As such, only a couple of the menu links are active, as well as all the "News" links.
    It is the index page's last news item, "About Site" that will explain more about the scheme.

Here is the site link: Example.

Yes, yes... The site is mainly HTML/CSS ATM, but the intro is a Full browser SWF overlay and the "hidden" frame is my old MP3 player SWF. Also used is a technique to have an HTML anchor tag invoke javascript to control the MP3 player SWF in the "hidden" frame.

I am posting here to see if I can get some feedback on its operations (or not) across browsers, operating systems and equipment.

I have a PC with XP and tested in IE, NN, Opera and FF - all the latest I think.
    Also on a couple of older machines, one with win2000P and annother with an ME operating system.
    All seems well so far.

This is setup as SWF8+ using "swfObj" and is fine with the flash player 9.
    It could work well as SWF6 but then it uses only javascript calls from the intro and in IE these calls with javascript create a "clicking noise." ...is a preference issue.

Your feedback is welcomed.
    Thank you,

gsb
    Last edited by gsb; Sep 30, 2006, 11:59 AM.

You have a lovely looking site there but I don't see the need for the Flash intro, it seems rather tacky in comparison to the rest of the site.

I personally find it highly irritating to find music on websites automatically playing when the page loads. If I want to listen to the music, I will, but most of the time I will be listening to my own music. Two pieces of music playing at once doesn't sound too good.

An image of a musical note or something may look good next to the radio controls; at the moment they just look like a normal menu, it doesn't stand out for me.

Two more things I feel are worth mentioning... the font size seems rather small (thats at the Smaller setting in IE), and there is a horizontal scrollbar (horizontal scrolling is bad! (and it's not needed there)).

The site didn't even display in Firefox ("plugin.SetWindow is not a function" error).

All of the above should be read constructively...
    markaylward.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your comments mark87.

"You have a lovely looking site there but I don't see the need for the Flash intro, it seems rather tacky in comparison to the rest of the site."

I agree. I am a moderator on a flash site and that was added as a gimmick or novelty. And as intros go it is a bit lame. I am more of a programmer than a designer.

"I personally find it highly irritating to find music on websites automatically playing when the page loads. If I want to listen to the music, I will, but most of the time I will be listening to my own music. Two pieces of music playing at once doesn't sound too good."

Again I am in total agreement. It was made auto-start here as an example on another flash content forum in response to a poster that was trying to accomplish "persistent" music across her site. In fact that is why I created the dynamic frameset. In production, the music should be initially off.

An image of a musical note or something may look good next to the radio controls; at the moment they just look like a normal menu, it doesn't stand out for me.

This too I have thought about. I am thinking of replacing it with a small SWF "player controls" movie that simply acts as a user interface to the background MP3 player. This would look better.

"Two more things I feel are worth mentioning... the font size seems rather small (thats at the Smaller setting in IE), ..."

Hummm... I designed the CSS to the midpoint - medium not smaller. I (perhaps wrongfully) assumed this to be the standard, if ever such existed. I do not think I will change this aspect but appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

"...and there is a horizontal scrollbar (horizontal scrolling is bad! (and it's not needed there))."

With my limited knowledge, this seems to be an IE thing based on my styles. It seems it is added to compensate for the vertical scroll bar. I could add an "if IE" directive to hide IE's overflow-x. Any better thoughts on that fix?

"The site didn't even display in Firefox ("plugin.SetWindow is not a function" error)."

Hummm... worked fine in my Firefox, but that function must be an flash player internal function for it is not something I have scripted. This is where I need folks help from here. Any thoughts on how to correct this problem?

"All of the above should be read constructively..."

Absolutely! That is why I posted it here.

Thanks again for your time and help.
      If you can help with remaining issues I would appreciate your additional comments.

gsb

Comment

I'm getting the same non-load issue in Firefox on Ubuntu.

Error: gsbMovie_DoFSCommand is not defined
        Source File: javascript: function jsScriptObject(obj) { this.wrappedJSObject = obj; } jsScriptObject.prototype = { evaluate : function(expression) { return new jsScriptObject(eval(expression)); } }; var plugin = document.embeds['gsbMovie']; plugin.SetWindow(new jsScriptObject(window),13849);
        Line: 1
        Active PHP/MySQL application developer available for immediate work.
        syosoft.com mavieo.com - Remote Web Site Administration Suite - Reseller Ready

Comment

Thanks syosoft, but I am not sure I can solve this problem.

Well that helps some too, although I do not know what "Ubuntu" is.
          I am at work with an old (451Mhz) win2000P system w/ Firefox v1.0.6.
          Here it works fine as well at home on an XP system.

This function, gsbMovie_DoFSCommand, is used by flash content issuing fsCommands to the browser or other host application. Normally it is not required unless the user code issues an fsCommand. But easy enough to test a fix, so I added the following code to the HTML files:
          Code:
          <script type="text/javascript">
            function gsbMovie_DoFSCommand(command,args) {
                return true;
            }
          </script>
          <!--[if gte IE 5]>
            <script type="text/javascript" event="FSCommand(command,args)" for="gsbMovie">
              gsbMovie_DoFSCommand(command, args);
            </script>
          <![endif]-->
          However, I am thinking that this is not the true problem. I am thinking that the flash player plug-in, browser and O/S combination that you are using does not support SWF communication with the host application.

The code:
          Code:
          javascript: function jsScriptObject(obj) { this.wrappedJSObject = obj; } jsScriptObject.prototype = { evaluate : function(expression) { return new jsScriptObject(eval(expression)); } }; var plugin = document.embeds['gsbMovie']; plugin.SetWindow(new jsScriptObject(window),13849);
          ...must be generated internally upon flash player initialization.

So, if you would be so kind as to try the link again with the added code and it doesn't work this time, I think it must be a flash player plug-in external interface support issue... and beyond my capability to solve.

gsb

Comment

I would be shocked to hear that flash for firefox on linux doesn't support any other flash feature. I wouldn't start debugging this assuming os/browser bugs. However, browsers do differ in their implimentation of javascript.

Anyway, that "fix" didnt work. Still getting a blank page - didnt stick around long enough to see if that error would popup eventually - but it didnt on initial load.
            Active PHP/MySQL application developer available for immediate work.
            syosoft.com mavieo.com - Remote Web Site Administration Suite - Reseller Ready

Comment

Hummm... I designed the CSS to the midpoint - medium not smaller. I (perhaps wrongfully) assumed this to be the standard, if ever such existed. I do not think I will change this aspect but appreciate your thoughts on the subject.
              I've always thought IE's default is Smaller, but I'm not 100% certain. All I know is I always have it on Smaller and the text on your site seems smaller than other sites.

No idea on the Firefox issue :/ ...Ubuntu is an operating system by the way. But as I'm getting the error in Windows too, this more-or-less concludes it's a Firefox problem on both platforms. I'm still using FF 1.07.

I see the horizontal scrolling has been fixed.
              markaylward.co.uk

Comment

To add to your firefox issues I'm using 1.5 on Win XP and I just get a blank page.

Comment

Thanks again mark87 and you too Pennimus.

In order to communicate with Flash Player, the browser must have built-in hooks which the Flash Player can 'listen' to.
                  Such browsers include:
                  Internet Explorer 5.0 and higher on Windows
                  Netscape 6.2 and higher on Windows and Macintosh
                  Mozilla 1.7.5 and higher on Windows and Macintosh
                  Firefox 1.0 and higher on Windows and Macintosh
                  Safari 1.3 and higher on Macintosh

Pennimus, I'm thinking that is a flash player issue. This wants FP8 or above and maybe you have an earlier version.
                  I will need to fix it back so that you get more than a blank page.

gsb

Comment

If it were a flash player issue would it not work in IE also though? I seem to have Adobe Flash Player 9 by the way.
                    markaylward.co.uk

Comment

Argh... I'm getting confused now.
                      I have Firefox on tow IE machines, XP and a win2k, and it works fine.
                      Others have had no problems also.

So I am not understanding the issues I think.

gsb

Comment

It is strange; I guess you really need more users with different specs to test if it works or not.

Could you try saving the flash file as an early version/backwards compatible one? Not sure if that's even possible but it may be worth a shot if it is.
                        markaylward.co.uk

Comment

Yes I can turn it back.
                          There are reasons I don't want to but certainly for testing I could.
                          I also need to add better code for failing.
                          I will make some adjustments and let you know.

And again, Thanks for your time with this issue.

gsb

Comment

Ok...

I rolled the flash player version back to 6 instead of 8.
                            I added checks and visitor feedback for:
                            1) w3c DOM compliance,
                            2) enabled javascript, and
                            3) a suitable flash player plug-in.

I also added a general "Something else is wrong." alert. LOL

After this, I am running short on ideas. LOL

Here is that link again: GypsyTrader.com

Thanks again for your help.

gsb
                            Last edited by gsb; Oct 2, 2006, 02:07 PM. Reason: ...add link again...

Comment

Well I added in the bulletin board page today...

The implementation is an adaptation of my old site that was simple a very cluttered bulletin board. Here though, it is simply a photo gallery of sort.

Each time you enter the page, it select 12 photos at random to display as thumbnails "pinned" to a cork-board. You can open each to view or move them around to see other thumbnails partially covered up. Also included is a business card and some "post-it" like notes used here as menu items. And of course, a music controller for the hidden frame's mp3 player.

This deviates from the CSS structured page I use as a site template but includes the self expanding dynamic frameset. That is, you can navigate to the page from the site and all is well. Or if the page is SE indexed and you go directly to the bulletin board page, it will also be OK, for it generates the correct frame context "on-the-fly." This is the case with all the pages on the site BTW.

So one of the "post-it" notes is a "back or home" button. If you enter from the site's navigation menu, it will return you back to your last page on the site you visited. But if you came in directly to the bulletin board page, it will return you to the site's Home page, hence "back or home" button.

The other "post-it" note is to reload the bulletin board with 12 more photos at random. Not very meaningful yet as I have only uploaded 20 images so far. But this two is dynamic. A PHP script simply reads the image directory list and randomly sends the number requested. So to add or delete is simply that: upload some more or delete some from the server. Simple enough! Now all I need to do is get around to taking more pictures.

Anyway, seems to work for most people so far.
                              Lets hope I do not break something along the way. LOL

I edited this to add that direct link for those interested: Site's bulletin board page.

Regards,

gsb
                              Last edited by gsb; Oct 4, 2006, 09:36 PM. Reason: Add direct link.

Comment

Working...
                              X