definedband.co.uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definedband.co.uk

Can you let me know what you think of the site, not finished yet but you can see the design and layout.

Your xhtml does not validate.
    Otherwise, your design is ok. For a band's website i would expect a funkier design. However, a nice clean site with easy navigation and good accessibility.

Comment

Like mylegoh said, I would typcally be expecting somethign with a little more flare, pizazz, and the like from a band site.

First thing i would set out to do is fix those rounded corners. Im not sure the graphics app your using but they should easy to clean up and make smooth.

Maybe some other suggestions.

Add a side bar in the main content area just to keep form having a large space of text there. you could have like the next 5 shows or something listed in it or something like that.

Is the logo the actual colors they use? If so how about incorporating more blue into the site. Just some visual continuity. Should help to bring it all together.

Add borders or something to help the band member pictures look less like they are just there. something that makes them look more like part of the site rather than an after thought.

ON the Bio page, possibly put the picture of the player with the bio. I can guess who Cryatsl is but the other 4, since the bios are not in order to the pictures up top, I have to guess who is who.

On the Gallery, when you click to view a larger image, it would be nice if you had a prev/next button to cycle through them so I dont have to click back and rechoose another one. Some sort of slide show/flip book thing would be handy.

On the Gigs, maybe section it off into past and upcoming shows. Also, add the year to them. Not a real issue now but as they schedule shows into 2007 your going to have 2 Januarys and so on.

On the Contact page, can you move the words closer to the form? Im using 1152 res and they are pretty spaced out.

just my 2 cents
      Stop making things so hard on yourself.
      i is tugbucket :: help raise tugburg :: Whitehaven Kiwanis

Comment

Originally posted by mylegoh View Post
        Your xhtml does not validate.
        Otherwise, your design is ok. For a band's website i would expect a funkier design. However, a nice clean site with easy navigation and good accessibility.
        The XHTML does validate now, it did when I first designed it but I copied the code from another site for favicon and it didn't have / at the end of the tag. Thanks for that I hadn't noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by harbingerOTV View Post
          Like mylegoh said, I would typcally be expecting somethign with a little more flare, pizazz, and the like from a band site.

We want to keep it simple and easy to use.

First thing i would set out to do is fix those rounded corners. Im not sure the graphics app your using but they should easy to clean up and make smooth.

They are fixed, I knew about that I did them quickly in MS Paint to get the layout up to look at.

Maybe some other suggestions.

Add a side bar in the main content area just to keep form having a large space of text there. you could have like the next 5 shows or something listed in it or something like that.

Worth think about, any suggestions what to put in the sidebar on the homepage (already two months gigs listed on the homepage)

Is the logo the actual colors they use? If so how about incorporating more blue into the site. Just some visual continuity. Should help to bring it all together.

Light blue text? I don't think that would look good. Any other suggestions how to incorporate blue? It is the band's logo.

Add borders or something to help the band member pictures look less like they are just there. something that makes them look more like part of the site rather than an after thought.

I like the photos the way they are, I don't think it would look better with borders and the band agree. How would you suggest doing it, I might try it see how it looks.

ON the Bio page, possibly put the picture of the player with the bio. I can guess who Cryatsl is but the other 4, since the bios are not in order to the pictures up top, I have to guess who is who.

I've written names under the pictures accross the top of the page, you now know who they are (thanks for that, we never thought of that d'oh) and I'm going to add pictures on the profiles page too.

On the Gallery, when you click to view a larger image, it would be nice if you had a prev/next button to cycle through them so I dont have to click back and rechoose another one. Some sort of slide show/flip book thing would be handy.

Next and last buttons added (not sure about the graphics of them, they may change but you get the idea)

On the Gigs, maybe section it off into past and upcoming shows. Also, add the year to them. Not a real issue now but as they schedule shows into 2007 your going to have 2 Januarys and so on.

I'm going to add a 2007 page.

On the Contact page, can you move the words closer to the form? Im using 1152 res and they are pretty spaced out.

Good point, done!

just my 2 cents

Thanks

Comment

Any other comments anyone?

Comment

Set your body's min-width to something like
              Code:
              min-width: 67em ! important;
              that way in compliant browsers screen aspect ratio preserved on resizing.

A visual cue as to where you are would be good idea. For example, when I am in Gigs there is nothing to indicate where I am if I do not/cannot read browser tab; perhaps a different colour for the link or page heading/title.

If you go to this link, you can view your site in different browsers and different screen sizes. http://v03.browsershots.org/

Finally, at the risk of over stepping my bounds may suggest that a community style website such as a blog would have been best. As I understand it, most small bands survive on their fan base. It would be nice to have an area for fans to exchange info as well as find out about their favourite band. Perhaps add a forum to this site.

Otherwise, as I said before the site is good if a little unexciting for such a cool band.

Good luck and well done!

Comment

Hm... I think it might look a little better with a tad more space between the content text and the sides of the peach-ish background.

Um, whoever wrote the content might want to review grammar rules, too. The first sentence I glanced at was a comma splice, and the next had a redundancy problem.

Is this helpful?

-'Dee

Comment

Originally posted by mylegoh View Post
                  Set your body's min-width to something like
                  Code:
                  min-width: 67em ! important;
                  that way in compliant browsers screen aspect ratio preserved on resizing.

Good idea

A visual cue as to where you are would be good idea. For example, when I am in Gigs there is nothing to indicate where I am if I do not/cannot read browser tab; perhaps a different colour for the link or page heading/title.

Good idea, I'll put a page description under the title graphic on each page

If you go to this link, you can view your site in different browsers and different screen sizes. http://v03.browsershots.org/

Thanks, anyone know what causes the yellow lines under the buttons in Konqueror, Opera did that too.

Finally, at the risk of over stepping my bounds may suggest that a community style website such as a blog would have been best. As I understand it, most small bands survive on their fan base. It would be nice to have an area for fans to exchange info as well as find out about their favourite band. Perhaps add a forum to this site.

There's a link to scunny.co.uk (a local music forum) I don't think the band itself would generate enough chat to need a dedicated forum. The site is intended as information for those who want to book/see the band as well as fans, we don't want a guestbook but maybe a feedback page (with us posting the content of E-mails)

Otherwise, as I said before the site is good if a little unexciting for such a cool band.

Good luck and well done!

Comment

Very nice, clean, web 2.0 looking design, although as said before, band websites usually have more graphics than words on it. Try using, i don't know, maybe 5 px or less extra padding on the left of the text and see how it works?
                    ahh i love the design, loads instantly!
                    i don't know what's the point of all those meta tags (revisit-after is used by only 1 search engine bot, and it's not in the major 4, or even 10). Like why do you need generator, or an abstract (shouldn't that be in the description?).

Are you using any <h> tags? you should use them for like what you have in bold now. don't forget to bold/italicize some content text, especially search engine keywords.
                    Hrvoje
                    Croatiankid designs
                    Downtown host

Comment

Originally posted by croatiankid View Post
                      Very nice, clean, web 2.0 looking design, although as said before, band websites usually have more graphics than words on it. Try using, i don't know, maybe 5 px or less extra padding on the left of the text and see how it works?
                      ahh i love the design, loads instantly!
                      i don't know what's the point of all those meta tags (revisit-after is used by only 1 search engine bot, and it's not in the major 4, or even 10). Like why do you need generator, or an abstract (shouldn't that be in the description?).

Are you using any <h> tags? you should use them for like what you have in bold now. don't forget to bold/italicize some content text, especially search engine keywords.
                      Good point about the H and B I never thought of that. As for the meta tags anything that makes search engines find you has to be good but I didn't know about revisit-after being widely ignored, who does use it by the way? As for abstract and description, good point I suppose and I might merge those two. Generator was just done to show anyone interested I didn't use Dreamweaver (maybe a bit pointless)

Comment

from http://www.seoconsultants.com/meta-t...isit-after.asp
                        The revisit-after META tag is not supported by any major search engines, it never was supported and probably never will be. It was developed for, and supported by, Vancouver Webpages and their local search engine searchBC.
                        I came accross this while doing some recent SEO research myself
                        Hrvoje
                        Croatiankid designs
                        Downtown host

Comment

Working...
                        X