A 25 year website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 25 year website

I would like to build a website which I can guaruntee will be around for 25 years. Is there a maximum length of time for which a domain name can be registered, and if so, will I always be able to renew the registration?

Any way you can think of for me to do this will be very helpful! Thanks

PS. I understand the Web is likely to change dramatically, but Im assuming that, just like we can still view the first web page ever created, in 25 years time, the Web or its successor will still be backward compatible!

You always get a chance to renew your domain name regardless of how long you register it for. Most of the time it happens automatically anyway. So I wouldn't worry about losing your domain.

Comment

Just make sure you keep your credit card information and email address up to date with your domain registrar!
      Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade and want lists, album reviews, & more

Comment

You'll be lucky if the registrar still exists in 25 years. Might want to go with a registrar that has already been around for quite some time and is successful to ensure they will remain around for years to come.
        Spookster
        CodingForum Supreme Overlord
        All Hail Spookster

Comment

My domain is registered through GoDaddy. Should I transfer it to another registrar?

Also, is it legal to guaruntee on my website that it will be around for, say 20 years, when I only have a 10 year license which i renew every year?

Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by tagarciap View Post
            My domain is registered through GoDaddy. Should I transfer it to another registrar?

Also, is it legal to guaruntee on my website that it will be around for, say 20 years, when I only have a 10 year license which i renew every year?

Thanks for your help
            If it were me, I either wouldn't make those promises, or I would put an asterix (*) next to it and at the bottom put:
            *Hopefully!
            or
            *Depending on certain variables
            Or something along those lines.
            ttttt
            http://openoffice.org/- Microsoft Office without the Microsoft.
            [home page][forum]
            Versatile, free software

Comment

Working...
            X