suggestions on re-working website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions on re-working website

This weekend I am going to completely re-write the website I maintain for an organization that promotes spaying and neutering pets:

www.cincinnatispayneuter.org

My general objectives are to:
    • eliminate all Dreamweaver generated code
    • remove all references to the 2004 Calendar
    • add new information about a consignment shop "Pedigree Interiors"

I've learned so much from this website about CSS and HTML. I was hoping to get ideas from you about:
    • general information organization
    • color scheme based around UCAN logo
    • general layout strategies

Thank you for your input!

Here's a bit of an idea for a colour scheme......
    I'm too tired to really get into the rest right now, if you haven't gotten any more responses next time I'm on I'll take a longer look.
    Andrew

*edit: in case you're wondering, the blue came from the puppy's eye, the brown/orange came from the kitten and the grey is the blue's complimentary colour.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mindlessLemming; Feb 27, 2004, 10:17 AM.

I take no responsibility for the above nonsense.

Left Justified

Comment

Give your page a title is the first thing

Lower the filesize of your images, they're taking years to load on 56k 152.61 KB for a title image is WAY too high.

Your navigation should be in text and use a background image if you want the same effect.

Here's your loading times, which are stupidly high

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/c...payneuter.org/

Your code doesn't validate

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...payneuter.org/

Using depreciated tags, such as the font tag which should be relaced with css

Also using tables for layout, another bad no no, tables are for tabular data and not layouts. You should be using css with divs.

Doesn't fit in 800x600 screen

It's also recommended you use lowercase on filenames, makes it easier for your users to type the address

Comment

Why have you got an empty <tr> at the end of your page which is over 1100 pixels high?
        David House - Perfect is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (Antoine de St. Exupery).
        W3Schools | XHTML Validator | CSS Validator | Colours | Typography | HTML&CSS FAQ | Go get Mozilla Now | I blog!

Comment

Dreamweaver

In response to several comments -- I created this website using Dreamweaver and I did not look at the underlying code. I probably did not understand how to use the Dreamweaver software very well either. Since then, I have learned much by reading the posts in these forums and looking at some of the code done by experts. So I apologize for the wretched condition of the code. I intend to correct many of these errors in my re-write.

I know almost nothing about design. I am a programmer by trade, so I particularly am looking for ideas about design and layout. I do not have an "eye" for these things.

I appreciate all your comments and opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfire
            152.61 KB for a title image is WAY too high.
            Oh my!
            My entire site is only 320Kb, including all images and a database!

*edit: my database is now weighing in at 322KB! Sooo many links , all css/xhtml....mmmmm...tasty...
            Last edited by mindlessLemming; Feb 28, 2004, 08:59 AM.

Left Justified

Comment

Blush

Okay, guys, I know the site is lame now. I just threw it together for a friend and I swear I didn't know anything! I know a little bit more now which is why I am going to re-write it in what I hope will be pristine code with optimized graphics!

mindlesslemming, I showed your proposed color scheme to my friend who is the "spay neuter lady" and she loved it! I am going to start working on changing everything over tomorrow.

I really appreciate everything I've learned here. I'm a bit embarrassed to know how little I knew when I first began, but I will soldier on the best I know how!

Comment

Re: Blush

Originally posted by Robin Clark
                mindlesslemming, I showed your proposed color scheme to my friend who is the "spay neuter lady" and she loved it! I am going to start working on changing everything over tomorrow.
                Cool.
                I really appreciate everything I've learned here. I'm a bit embarrassed to know how little I knew when I first began, but I will soldier on the best I know how!
                Don't be embarresed, I stumbled across this forum last October knowing less than you do now. Just continue wording your questions as well as you have and using the search function before posting a new problem and I'm sure you'll find that CodingForum is a really friendly and helpful place

Andrew

Left Justified

Comment

Put your trust into the people here and you will have an amazing site, I can guarantee that. We're all here to help you 100%. I learnt alot from these people that spend ages/time keeping up with clientside technology

Comment

Originally posted by mindlessLemming
                    Here's a bit of an idea for a colour scheme......
                    I'm too tired to really get into the rest right now, if you haven't gotten any more responses next time I'm on I'll take a longer look.
                    Andrew

*edit: in case you're wondering, the blue came from the puppy's eye, the brown/orange came from the kitten and the grey is the blue's complimentary colour.
                    Hmmm, colour scheme looked great! I wonder where you get that from? Software?

Comment

Im assuming that he used the colours as a base for the other colours? Maybe using software, but I know theres some great stuff at:

http://www.webwhirlers.com/colors/

(Thanks 'me for that link)
                      PHP Weekly - A PHP Developers Resource
                      PHP 5.1.4 and Ruby on Rails web hosting
                      Moderator of PHP and Work offers and Requests
                      Install Apache/PHP/MySQL
                      (by marek_mar) | TinyPlugin Architecture

Comment

Originally posted by missing-score
                        Im assuming that he used the colours as a base for the other colours? Maybe using software, but I know theres some great stuff at:

lol, thanks!

I had purchased a rip-off color wheel pro recently and was disappointed with the result. It was recommended by an internet magazine but it's too fiddle to use and worse still, useless colors!

Comment

Originally posted by missing-score

+1.

That's the site I used to generate the tints and hex codes, but chose the three initial colours myself.
                          I use that site at least once a week. Thanks for the link David

(oh, and as his sig. used to say; "It's me'; not 'me, 'me' or anything else )

Left Justified

Comment

heh, i could have sworn i put me'
                            PHP Weekly - A PHP Developers Resource
                            PHP 5.1.4 and Ruby on Rails web hosting
                            Moderator of PHP and Work offers and Requests
                            Install Apache/PHP/MySQL
                            (by marek_mar) | TinyPlugin Architecture

Comment

(oh, and as his sig. used to say; "It's me'; not 'me, 'me' or anything else )
                              I was on the verge of saying that myself, but no problem missing-score, everyone gets confused Use my actual name (David House) if it's easier.
                              David House - Perfect is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (Antoine de St. Exupery).
                              W3Schools | XHTML Validator | CSS Validator | Colours | Typography | HTML&CSS FAQ | Go get Mozilla Now | I blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X