Hosting plan: Good ? Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting plan: Good ? Bad

I've been looking into paying for hosting since I seem to be having too many problems with PHP/Apache/MySQL on my machine.

Someone made me an offer on another forum, and since I've never paid for hosting, I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not.
    i've got hosting for sale, and for the help you've given me I'll give you a discount!

I usually sell my 'developer' package for $150/yr

150mb space
    20 mySql db's (total)
    10 email accounts per domain (up to 2 domains on this plan)
    2gb transfer/month
    private CGI-BIN
    Cpanel

Make me a reasonble offer.

Also, I'll register your domain name(s) for $12.00, or 9/yr for 3 years.

John
    I also checked out Dr2.net, and they offer almost double that, and more, for only 40 bucks a year...

I'm seriously considering going with Dr2.net, but if anyone knows a better host, or has any comments or anything at all, speak up!

Paul - You can do WAY WAY WAY better than that.

And that's even if you need 150 megs.

I just put a new website of mine on the following company:

www.ehostpros.com

Check out there deals - much better.

Even the company I'm switching from - to lower the cost - is more than this guys...........

Don't go with him.

Comment

Hey!
      Thanks a lot, I'll check into that site.
      And I doubt I'll need 150 megs of space.

***EDIT***
      I checked out ehostspro, and I was wondering, with Dr2, they offer unlimited MySQL DB's, with ehostspro, they offer 2. My main goal here is to get learning PHP/MySQL, so I'm wondering if 2 Databases is okay.

ehostspro seems to have just a teeny bit over Dr2, but most of it seems to be stuff I don't need or stuff that seems implied with Dr2, but my main concern is the number of Databases available. Also, ehostspro seems to be using a earlier version of PHP.

Can anyone give me some comparison between Dr2 and ehostspro? They sorta seem about equal, but does anyone have personal experience with either/both?
      Last edited by Paul Jr; Feb 20, 2004, 02:50 PM.

Comment

I would be able to find a free host offering that...
        Geoffrey Sneddon

Comment

So I guess you could say I'd be better off going with someone else like Dr2, or ehostspro, eh?

Comment

All you really need is one database (as long as the number of tables you put in it is unlimited)
            Vladdy | KL
            "Working web site is not the one that looks the same on common graphical browsers running on desktop computers, but the one that adequately delivers information regardless of device accessing it"

Comment

Make sure to check out: http://www.ithium.net/

Krycek (a member here) owns/runs it. I have my www.dasdua.org site hosted through him and have been quite pleased. I am gonna be setting up a paid hosting plan through him for my personal site in the next few months.
              Last edited by oracleguy; Feb 20, 2004, 03:49 PM.
              OracleGuy

Comment

Another good host, which I've been with for about 13 months is http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk Customer service is great and so are their server uptimes

Comment

Originally posted by oracleguy
                  Make sure to check out: http://www.ithium.net/

Krycek (a member here) owns/runs it. I have my www.dasdua.org site hosted through him and have been quite pleased. I am gonna be setting up a paid hosting plan through him for my personal site in the next few months.
                  I've been interested in getting hosting at ithium, but haven't been able to get hold of krycek through email. I've sent him a few messages, and those were a few weeks ago. I've had no reply. Makes me wonder...

Comment

Originally posted by Vladdy
                    All you really need is one database (as long as the number of tables you put in it is unlimited)
                    So it doesn't really matter if Dr2.net offers unlimited, and ehostpro offers 2, yes? Since I really only need one?

I'll contact Krycek about ithium and see how that turns out.

Thanks!

Comment

Beware hosts that offer things unlimited such as bandwidth, space and databases. They most likely have a clause in the TOS that says unlimited, however...

I've been using www.hostrocket.com for the past 3 years. You get much bang for your buck.

And also for domain registrations you can do better than that price. I've been using www.godaddy.com for the past year and they are great.
                      Last edited by Spookster; Feb 20, 2004, 06:53 PM.
                      Spookster
                      CodingForum Supreme Overlord
                      All Hail Spookster

Comment

Yes - I meant to mention that any price other than 8 dollars or less for a domain name a year is a RIP OFF.

On godaddy - where I have three domains, soon to be thousands - you can set all your domain settings and redirect to the host company.

Don't get hosting from godaddy - and don't get domain reg from a hosting service...

DO them seperately!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Palin
                          I've been interested in getting hosting at ithium, but haven't been able to get hold of krycek through email. I've sent him a few messages, and those were a few weeks ago. I've had no reply. Makes me wonder...
                          Hmm. Maybe he doesn't check his CF-emailaccount. I've posted a few days ago on the ithium forum about this (no contact links on the ithum homepage) another thing, and he reacted within a few hours.
                          I've used an account there for about a year now, and never had any complaints. I also always get quick responses from Krycek when i mail him or when i post on his forum. So i wouldn't see this as a (permanent) problem.

I'll drop him a mail about your post here.
                          Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Originally posted by raf
                            Hmm. Maybe he doesn't check his CF-emailaccount. I've posted a few days ago on the ithium forum about this (no contact links on the ithum homepage) another thing, and he reacted within a few hours.
                            I've used an account there for about a year now, and never had any complaints. I also always get quick responses from Krycek when i mail him or when i post on his forum. So i wouldn't see this as a (permanent) problem.

I'll drop him a mail about your post here.
                            Forum? What forum? I went to ithium.net, and didn't see any links.

Comment

I don't know if you have bought your hosting yet but mine is brilliant. I got a domain for 1 year and hosting for 2 for £33, £1 a month for the hosting

www.infinity-hosting.net

It seems cheap but it gives me 25MB space and 500MB bandwdth and its never gone down for me. It only gives you 1 db, but I asked the guy for more and he said ok and upgraded me to 10.

Check them out
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X