Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

Say you have a site of your own. You have worked hard on the design and the content. So you copyright it. You display something like copyright 2004, <Name>. Now, what is the significance of the period you specify? At CF, I see this at the bottom of every page: Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Does that mean the material here is not copyrighted for 2003, 2004?

To protect the author from being sued for the content it's important to have a disclaimer. What should be the content of the disclaimer?

Is it important to have a privacy policy link in pages that collect user information?

Pardon me if the questions are too rudimental.

Thanks.

Re: Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

Originally posted by codefox
    Say you have a site of your own. You have worked hard on the design and the content. So you copyright it. You display something like copyright 2004, <Name>. Now, what is the significance of the period you specify? At CF, I see this at the bottom of every page: Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Does that mean the material here is not copyrighted for 2003, 2004?

To protect the author from being sued for the content it's important to have a disclaimer. What should be the content of the disclaimer?

Is it important to have a privacy policy link in pages that collect user information?

Pardon me if the questions are too rudimental.

Thanks.
    The year you list is the year the copyright was GOTTEN.

If it specifies multiple years with COMMAS, it means that part of the material you are seeing was copyrighted in various years - as things were added.

It has nothing to do with the LENGTH of the copyright. There's no such thing as copyrighted material "for" a certain year.

Patent's have a time length - copyrights, trademarks, servicemarks do not.

Make sense?

Comment

privacy policy:

very interesting questions. sounds like a future reference thread to me. about the privacy policy, here is a link that will save you a lot of time:
      http://www.the-dma.org/privacy/creating.shtml
      Just fill in the blanks and one is created for you
      Alex
      yourmusicforums.com

Comment

Re: privacy policy:

Originally posted by jeskel
        very interesting questions. sounds like a future reference thread to me. about the privacy policy, here is a link that will save you a lot of time:
        http://www.the-dma.org/privacy/creating.shtml
        Just fill in the blanks and one is created for you
        Nice - However he was asking about a disclaimer, not a privacy policy.

Disclaimers involve such things as

"don't do anything you see someone doing here"
        "the author is not responsible for opinions shown here"

Basically it's a cover-***.

You really should tell us the TYPE of site you're talking about - because a disclaimer page is way to dependant on your content to ever recieve help in what to write.

If you tell/show us the site - I can tell you things you might want.

However, in most cases you don't need to worry about this - disclaimers are rare.........

What's the URL?

Comment

Re: Re: Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

Originally posted by MysteryMan
          The year you list is the year the copyright was GOTTEN.
          Copyright does not have to be acquired. The copyright of any work, be it literary, visual, aural or an instruction set (code) are the intelectual property of its creator from the moment of creation. Only patents and trademarks require application/payment.

I take no responsibility for the above nonsense.

Left Justified

Comment

Re: Re: privacy policy:

Nice - However he was asking about a disclaimer, not a privacy policy.
            Yes he was....

Originally posted by codefox

Left Justified

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

Originally posted by mindlessLemming
              Copyright does not have to be acquired. The copyright of any work, be it literary, visual, aural or an instruction set (code) are the intelectual property of its creator from the moment of creation. Only patents and trademarks require application/payment.

I assumed he new thing.

by putting a copyright on the item it makes it copyrighted.

POOF it's done.

Comment

You don't even have to put it's copyrighted. As far as I'm aware, that's the way it's always happened, so no not a new thing

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Regarding copyrights and disclaimers

by putting a copyright on the item it makes it copyrighted.
                  To repeat myself, the act of creating an original work is in itself all that is required for copyright. No symbol, nothing else, it yours. (As long as you can prove its date of creation.)

Left Justified

Comment

I know original work is implicitly copyrighted, I was just wondering why years are specified. Yes, disclaimers do vary based on the site and the content, I was just looking for some generic text to put in a personal site where I have my articles. Since I collect user information I wanted to give a privacy policy link. Thanks for the link and information.
                    Last edited by codefox; Feb 19, 2004, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Well, I got concerned about disclaimers and privacy policy when I realized that linking to websites without consent, or collecting user information without their knowledge could get one into trouble. There are umpteen personal websites (thanks to personal weblogs) that link to images or other resources, or contain articles which may not be original, or contain objectionable views which the author may not be aware of. Anyways, some random links on copyrighting:
                      http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html
                      http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
                      http://www.indiecentre.com/info/arti...0&ArticleID=10
                      http://slashdot.org/yro/99/09/11/1447250.shtml

Comment

Check out:
                        http://www.whatiscopyright.org/
                        OracleGuy

Comment

Working...
                        X