JScript, VBscirpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JScript, VBscirpt

what exactly are these two scripts, are they worth learing?
    http://www.bluephoenix.uni.cc/

JScript is simply what MS calls it's implementation of Javascript.

VBScript is a whole different language, it's a simplified version of MS's Visual Basic for use in scripting. Avoid VBScript for web pages, as a MS proprietary language it'll lock your web pages to IE, instead you can always do the same thing in Javascript and make it cross-browser.
    Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
      JScript is simply what MS calls it's implementation of Javascript.

VBScript is a whole different language, it's a simplified version of MS's Visual Basic for use in scripting. Avoid VBScript for web pages, as a MS proprietary language it'll lock your web pages to IE, instead you can always do the same thing in Javascript and make it cross-browser.
      Cross-browser? You're kidding, right???

Comment

No, I'm not kidding. I said "avoid VBScript" and "do the same thing with Javascript" implying that whatever it was expected to accomplish with VBScript could be done with Javascript.
        Check out the Forum Search. It's the short path to getting great results from this forum.

Comment

They're also the two most common scripting languages used with ASP, which are obviously cross browser because they work serverside.
          David House - Perfect is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. (Antoine de St. Exupery).
          W3Schools | XHTML Validator | CSS Validator | Colours | Typography | HTML&CSS FAQ | Go get Mozilla Now | I blog!

Comment

http://www.codingforum.net/showthrea...threadid=26655
            Moderator @ WebDeveloper.com
            Mentor @ WebXpertz.net

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
              No, I'm not kidding. I said "avoid VBScript" and "do the same thing with Javascript" implying that whatever it was expected to accomplish with VBScript could be done with Javascript.
              I just meant that JavaScript has it's own cross-browser issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Palin
                True for both the language itself and for the DOM as supported by the various browsers. But still much better than using VBScript

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Palin
                  Well some things dont work in IE that work in NS or something.
                  BUT there is ALWAYS a way to make anything dealing with logic work in all browsers.

Roy: So your basically saying that VBscript is not worth learning... right?

Didnt know its IE only

Comment

VBScript is worth learning but not for use in web pages. It's really handy on a PC where you need some sort of scripting language that's simple and yet powerful. Of course you could use other scripting languages as well, a good example would be PERL which has non web based origins but most people know it today because of it's use for server side scripting of web pages.

Comment

ookey thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X