What do you think now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think now?

About a month ago I asked everyone what they thought of my web page. You hated it. So I changed it. So not what can I do to make it better. Thanks www.rso.wmich.edu/aopi

Ouch! You hurt my bandwidth.

I hope you take the following as constructive criticism.

With a weight of over 3MB it took WAY too long to load. You should rework your images to get decent-sized thumbnails that link to the full-size images. Thumbnails should not be any bigger than 10 kilobytes. Your smallest one is over 100 kilobytes. (Your full-size images could probably be a lot smaller too. Think JPG instead of BMP)

With no doctype defined your page won't ever validate. Search this forum for "validation" to find out why this is important.

There is no reason to use images in your navigation as it's only text. The site will be much easier to maintain and load (slightly) faster with text links.

Your "no right click" script doesn't work in Mozilla. It says "Right click is disabled on images!" but then I get the standard context menu if I just click OK. Suggestion: don't use this script. Don't use any script that disables features on my browser. I don't appreciate it and your other visitors probably won't either. If you're using this script in an attempt to "protect" something you may want to search this forum for "protecting images" to find out why this is not possible.

The valentine heart is kind of cute in the upper left corner, but the oversized one on the right side needs to die.

Find code errors, spelling errors, page load problems, weight problems here:
    http://www.netmechanic.com/toolbox/html-code.htm

Validate your code and find HTML errors here
    http://validator.w3.org/

Get cheap or free image-processing tools here
    http://www.download.com

Comment

Thanks that was not to bad. I dont know how to get rid of the big heart. On my computer it does not show up. Why?

I do know the pictures are to big. But all the girls do have high speed internet in our house. So for most people that look at the site it is ok.

Thanks for the links.

Comment

The only problem I'm running into is when I go to check out the pictures of the hotties. It tells me that I don't have Flash 6 so I need to install it. I've got Flash 7. You might want to fix the detection there.

Comment

I think I read your earlier thread, and you were advised to stay away from vml. Maybe that was someone else, and if so I'm advising that you stay away from it. Just use some plain old xhtml, get rid of the tables, use some css, and kill that huge heart.

Comment

Originally posted by aopikp
            So for most people that look at the site it is ok.
            I doubt your host would agree with that. If it is taking 3megs to download the page, that is going to pump up the ammount of data transfer that occurs each month and that means the server needs more bandwidth and other resources. Most likely after a couple months someone might notice.

And using jpegs is just better than bitmaps, they will be more efficient and take up loads less space.

Also make sure you check out this thread on why you shouldn't bother with a no right click script: http://www.codingforum.net/showthrea...&threadid=4437
            OracleGuy

Comment

Having been one of the people who wrote off your last version of this site, I must say that it has improved drastically.
              The earlier comment about your menu is very important. Text should be represented by text, not by images. Also, I thought your menu didn't work when I hovered over it to discover that there was no color change or familiar underline. The web has developed many assumed UI
              consitencies, don't fight them, use them.

I take no responsibility for the above nonsense.

Left Justified

Comment

Ok that is all great!!

I dont know how to get rid of the big heart. It does not show up on my computer. I cant find it on Front PAge

I am not the person that you tole about vml I dont even know what that is. I use frames because it is the only way I know to. I use Micrsoft Front Page.

The pictures page does need a lot of work. I dont want the slideshows with flash I just want thumbnails so I will be changing that.

So if you can help me make the web page without frames. That would be great. And by the way what is vml and xhtme. I know what htmlm is and I thought that is what I was using.

Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

All you need to do is ask, and you will have a pretty good chance of finding someone that will take a few minutes, and rebuild your site, so it doesn't use frames, and isn't the result of FrontPage.
                  http://www.mudsplat.com - Web design, print, and marketing solutions.

Comment

I dont know how to get rid of the big heart. It does not show up on my computer. I cant find it on Front PAge
                    I use Micrsoft Front Page.
                    Self-explanatory.

Comment

So..... Can someone help me fix all the problems

Comment

Theres two problems at a quick glance. First the images. Your whole layout it images bro. Get ride of images for links...doesn't work out well. I didnt check the format but as I read use .jpeg there better for internet use over .bmp. As for the heart, eh, get rid of it. Say you can't find it? Frontpage....microsoft.. They uh, need to get their heads out of the money bag and into compatability. Anyway, Just change the links and images and it should go fine.
                        ~Designer's Toolz~

Comment

Oh yeah, as for the right-click disabler...get rid of that. Noone likes there controls to be restricted. And it doesnt work. I've gone on and on about that before but I'll make this quick.

Why it doesnt work:
                          #1. You have screen shot :-D
                          #2. Get source, find img src and download it
                          #3. You can have left click bring up the menu
                          #4. Since you can't protect images and everyone knows this, its very annoying.
                          ~Designer's Toolz~

Comment

No Right Click is gone!!

I changed the picture format.

I dont want to get rid of the small heart but the big on that some of you are seeing I want that gone. But I all telling you I dont know how to.

With the pictures you have to remember we are girls So i would like to keep them.

With the link bar being a picture. That was the easy way to do it with front page. So I can redo it but I dont know how to: do I just use and font and type what I want? If I do that it will look different on different computers. I did that once and on some computers so works would go on the next line and so it made everything not work right.

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Comment

No Right Click is gone!!

I changed the picture format.

I dont want to get rid of the small heart but the big on that some of you are seeing I want that gone. But I all telling you I dont know how to.

With the pictures you have to remember we are girls So i would like to keep them.

With the link bar being a picture. That was the easy way to do it with front page. So I can redo it but I dont know how to: do I just use and font and type what I want? If I do that it will look different on different computers. I did that once and on some computers so works would go on the next line and so it made everything not work right.

Thanks for all the help so far!!

Comment

Working...
                              X