Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Should I rel="nofollow" or robots.txt my links to internal search results? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I rel="nofollow" or robots.txt my links to internal search results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I rel="nofollow" or robots.txt my links to internal search results?

At the end of every article, I tag it with about 20 keywords and each of those keywords links to the results page of my search engine for that word. (I use Wrensoft Zoom Index Search) Matt Cutts says not to use rel="nofollow" on internal links but he doesn't seem to be accounting for links to search results. Should I rel="nofollow" or edit robots.txt to ignore these links?
    ؟؟؟ curious ???

You should use nofollow when you need to.

You should do both.

Google is not the only search engines anyways.

Comment

nofollow stops licking linking jiuce.

robots.txt stops from indexing those pages and having duplicate content on your site. There is no penalty but this is not good. Because you are losing control over your site. You may get results pages ranked for the keywords that you optimized other pages for. The bad thing is that you will get the visitors, BUT you will have large bounce off rate like 90%.
      Last edited by qqqq9999; Aug 19, 2011, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cineweekly.com View Post
        At the end of every article, I tag it with about 20 keywords and each of those keywords links to the results page of my search engine for that word. (I use Wrensoft Zoom Index Search) Matt Cutts says not to use rel="nofollow" on internal links but he doesn't seem to be accounting for links to search results. Should I rel="nofollow" or edit robots.txt to ignore these links?
        No.

[obligatory sentence to avoid one-word response]
        Blog | Twitter
        Useful links: W3C HTML Validator | W3C CSS Validator | HTML 5 Guide
        CF: HTML & CSS Resources/Tutorials Thread | HTML & CSS Posting Rules and Guidelines
        Remember: no link, no code, no help!

Comment

Originally posted by Apostropartheid View Post
          No.

[obligatory sentence to avoid one-word response]
          Why wouldn't I block search results links in robots.txt?
          ؟؟؟ curious ???

Comment

Hi cineweekly.com -

You're generally free to use do-follow links within your blog or site. I'm trying to come up with a reason why you wouldn't be and I can't right now - but then it's early in the morning for me!

You'd want to use no-follow links when linking to external pages where you might lose some of your "PR juice" as qqqq9999 alluded to. If you exchange links with another site, the site you're exchanging with should give you the same kind of link you give to the other site. If you want them to give you a do-follow link, you should provide a do-follow link to that site.

Comment

Okay, I'm set on rel="nofollow" but what about robots.txt? I wouldn't want Google or my own custom search engine to index search results pages so shouldn't I block that directory from being crawled? Why wouldn't I?
              ؟؟؟ curious ???

Comment

I can't think of any reason why you would want your search results pages to be crawled so I don't see any problem with blocking them.
                mortgage calculator

Comment

after reflecting on my answer, I have sort of changed my mind. I have seen some odd pages show up in google search results, even pages that dont necessarily do you any good. However, if it will lead someone to your site, then that is a good thing. So unless there is something that you just don't want google to see, I wouldn't block them.
                  mortgage calculator

Comment

Is it possible to set your search results pages to "noindex, follow" so that you prevent them being indexed (avoided duplicate content issues etc) but Googlebot can still crawl them and find new pages using them? I think (not sure) that passes the link juice through.
                    Clueless in Essex

Comment

So does rel no follow allow google to still index but just doesnt pass link juice?
                      Mortgage Rates | Florida Mortgage Rates

Comment

I normally nofollow my contact and privacy pages only. If you want your page to be indexed than build backlinks to it, but I don't see why would you build link to your privacy page.
                        My Gather

Comment

I don't know what kind of advice should I give you, but I recommend you not to nofollow your tags. Why? I have site that receive lot of traffics from just tag keywords alone. If you have an authority site, tags can be a very powerful tool. Google might not like it though since I've seen a lot of tags spamming, just don't overdo it and you should be fine.
                          My Gather

Comment

Matt Cutts said in June of 2010 that as a result of a new formula for the calculation of Pagerank...

"There's no need to hoarde all of your link juice on your page and, in fact, there may be benefit to generously linking out (not the least of which is the link-building power of good will)."

Here's a link to the video interview if your interested...

Matt Cutts Video Interview June 2010

So unless anyone has anything more recent it would seem that tactics such as no-follow tags and reducing the number of outbound links on a page are unnecessary.

Spread the link love people
                            You wanna know something funny? I'm the biggest Rob Lowe fan since Nastasia Kinski! There, I bet that made your day, now pick yourself up off the floor, stop laughing and get back to work :p

Comment

He's asking about nofollow his own pages not outbound links.
                              My Gather

Comment

Working...
                              X