A few php script questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few php script questions

OK, I have NEVER worked with php before, but I'm not a newb when it comes to computers so I should be OK. However, a couple questions....

1. Visit www.katz.ws and look at the bottom of the page at the script they use for the navigation. What are they using? Is it an independant script, or is part of a theme-type php setup?

2. I want to build a site that revolves around site reviews. I want to have a way to place all the info for each site i review posted in a format, and then placed into a database that people can navigate through based off of ceretain criteria - such as type of site, newly listed, etc etc. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

For instance.....

-----------------------------------------
    Site title
    [site pic]
    Review:
    <Link to>
    ------------------------------------------

It'd be placed into a list type ordeal, so let's say you select to view site reviews for band sites.... Well, then it'll bring up all the sites and let you sort them by popularity, or date added, etc etc, and automatically place a certain amount per page before splitting it to the next page.

Get it?

Sorry, I'm just new and don't know where to begin with it. I have sketches and a site almost done, but I don't know if I'm going to have better luck using a template from some sort of php-themed script or something....

THANKS MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by seanothan View Post
    What are they using?
    The only way to know for sure is to ask them. If I had to guess though, it's probably a custom PHP application.

2. I want to build a site that revolves around site reviews. I want to have a way to place all the info for each site i review posted in a format, and then placed into a database that people can navigate through based off of ceretain criteria - such as type of site, newly listed, etc etc. What do I need to do to accomplish this?
    Blogging software might work for the reviews, but I have no idea what kind of search mechanism they might offer. To do a specific type of search like you're talking about might involve writing a custom application.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade and want lists, album reviews, & more

Comment

i'm wondering why you didn't start threads in the php forum...

what you are looking for will require dynamically creating the sql statement based on the userinput, and add some recordset paging. all of these are very well described in plenty of threads in the php-forum (use the search-function ...) but if you have specific questions for your application, just starth a thread about it there.
      Posting guidelines I use to see if I will spend time to answer your question : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Comment

Originally posted by raf View Post
        i'm wondering why you didn't start threads in the php forum...
        Yes, I also found out a lot of newcomers post stuffs in wrong forums again and again.

Comment

Working...
        X