Web Analytics Made Easy -
StatCounter Easy to use Content Management System for Personal Use? - CodingForum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy to use Content Management System for Personal Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to use Content Management System for Personal Use?

I decide to create a personal site by way of a CMS. Currently I am using Dreamweaver and updating everything manually. Well I thought I get with the time and upgraded. The following are things I am looking for.

1. Easy to use
    2. Has downloadable themes
    3. Cost doesn't matter but quality does
    4. Customizable
    5. Things I would like to add to site - flash photo Album, resume, and blog.
    6. Modern looking (web 2.0).
    "Knowledge Speaks But Wisdom Listens"

I've found Wordpress to be very good, and most people will agree.

It's actually a blogging platform but has support for pages, lots of plugins, themes etc; it's completely customisable. And it's free!
    markaylward.co.uk

Comment

Yeah, wordpress is insane. I don't know why but I just hadn't looked at it at all until the other day. They harp on about their famous 5 minute install and I thought "yeah right... time to spend several hours sorting out problems". But no, in fact they aren't lying, it really did take 5 minutes to install it and it's ridiculously flexible and easy to mess around with.

Go Wordpress!

Comment

What do you guys think about joomla? Is it any good and what is the difference between that and mambo?
        "Knowledge Speaks But Wisdom Listens"

Comment

Joomla and Mambo are essentially the same. I hate it. Bloated markup, table layout, rigid output, etc. etc. I've had to work with it a bunch and each time I've walked away cursing. If I didn't care about standards, accessibility, or design I would love it. It seems to be a CMS geared towards the programmer rather than the designer.

For a small personal or business website I can't say enough good things about Textpattern. Total control over your templates, super-easy integration with content, blog-style or static pages, easy plugin system… Wordpress is great, but TXP has always been easier (for me) to incorporate non-blog types of things.

If you are looking for something that can handle almost anything thrown at it, I also highly recommend ExpressionEngine. My personal website uses it, and I now pretty much use it exclusively on websites I build.
          drums | web

Comment

rmedek : expression engine...... thats pretty interesting ..i have been to their website few times it looks like a nice one..but when it comes to the relations between cost input and feature output. how do u explain your experience with Expression engine.. as a matter of fact i would invite everyone who has used expression engine so far.. it seems very pricey..

A company has to sell software so they claim alot..but as a user how di u find it?

its forums features ...are they superior or equal to the best forum software available in open source for free?

its photo gallery features ...are they superior or equal to the best photogallery software available in open source for free?

its Blog features ...are they superior or equal to the best blog software available in open source for free?

its maintainance cost ..fixes bugs update costs worth buying it?
            Move on....

Comment

i like e107 a bunch. wordpress is just wonderful
              Hrvoje
              Croatiankid designs
              Downtown host

Comment

Originally posted by kab_184 View Post
                A company has to sell software so they claim alot..but as a user how di u find it?
                I'll quote what ended up as a testimonial from me on EE's website:

I will never, ever, ever, ever work on a site again without devoting at least an hour of my sales presentation to obtaining an ExpressionEngine license.
                That pretty much sums it up.

As far as the features being worth the money, hell yes it's worth it. You get what you pay for, in my opinion. The commercial license is $150, the non-profit/personal license is $100, and the Core (personal use, and everything but the Gallery and Email modules) is free, as in free. You could always use the Core EE and just use your free third-party software for gallery or forum use.

For me, the gist of it is, I hate installing a blog software (like WP) and then having to hack it to get it to do what I need, not to mention installing four other programs to get the functionality I want. Too much maintenance… that's four times the security updates, bug fixes, hacks, what-have-yous. Plus, with every update you'll need to go back and make sure your hacks still work.

You're not going to go wrong with Wordpress or Textpattern (especially since you want downloadable themes and all), and honestly EE might be overkill if you just want a little personal site. But I doubt I'll leave EE anytime soon after being spoiled the way I have.
                drums | web

Comment

Advice - blogging within html

Hi All,

I'm one of the new kids on the block and I wish I was a part of the community earlier (well it's never too late right?).

I've created a template for a new site in which will have content changing on a weekly basis. I've looked at b2evolution (and I've heard about the hacker issues AND it seemed quite complicated) and some of the other free programs mentioned earlier in the discussion.

The bottom line is that I want a program that will let me EASILY place content within this template ( http://www.rollingout.com/OFFLINE/test_regularpage.php )

Any suggestions? What has worked for you in the past?

TIA (thanks in advance)!!

Comment

most of the cms are usual template indepent now..u can put the content anywhere in the templates..just position the modules ..

there are many opensource ones..seems u r on PHP then..

Flat file : Limbo CMS
                    SQL based: Joomla, drupal, xoop, e107
                    Blogs mainly: Wordpress
                    depends what features addons u want and how much of experience u have in handling different cms.. joomla is pretty straight..so is e107. drupal has no install script so its all manual.. Limbo is nice but thats not for heavy traffic..
                    Last edited by kab_184; Oct 10, 2006, 12:39 AM.
                    Move on....

Comment

thanks kab_184

i don't have any installation experience

my concern is that we're using b2evolution, but i want to change it to something else with less issues (plus we're running an OLD version 0.9)

will i run into any problems downloading a new cms (as long as I place it in another directory)?

thanks again!!!

Comment

most of the cms are usual template indepent now..u can put the content anywhere in the templates..just position the modules ..

depends what features addons u want and how much of experience u have in handling different cms.. joomla is pretty straight..so is e107. drupal has no install script so its all manual.. Limbo is nice but thats not for heavy traffic..
                        all i'm really looking to do is have the stories feed in the center of the page and create archives, which is why i thought the blog system would work

Comment

my concern is that we're using b2evolution, but i want to change it to something else with less issues (plus we're running an OLD version 0.9)
                          what issue do u have with b2evolution?

i don't have any installation experience
                          Wordpress Blogs has intsll walkthrough ..upload on site..create a database in via phpmyadmin(an empty database whose user name, password, database name u know so u can enter those in the wordpress install steps. ) .and just read and click to install.Out of the box installation.

Joomla is just like that as well.install like u are installing a windows software...

will i run into any problems downloading a new cms (as long as I place it in another directory)?
                          No.. as long as they are in separate directories u can install and host 100s of sites... i got local server 8 CMS working on it...with 8 database..
                          Move on....

Comment

what issue do u have with b2evolution?

Wordpress Blogs has intsll walkthrough ..upload on site..create a database in via phpmyadmin(an empty database whose user name, password, database name u know so u can enter those in the wordpress install steps. ) .and just read and click to install.Out of the box installation.

Joomla is just like that as well.install like u are installing a windows software...

No.. as long as they are in separate directories u can install and host 100s of sites... i got local server 8 CMS working on it...with 8 database..
                            kool! i've downloaded drupal so we'll see how that works out. thanks for your help.

Comment

please explain

i've successfully install drupal and i'm ready to go to the next level

i don't quite understand what you mean by positioning the modules can you please elaborate? tia

Comment

Working...
                              X